This workshop explained what a will is and the requirements for executing a valid will. It also touched on other areas of law that are interwoven with the topic. For instance:
The implications of dying without a will if –
- One is in an unregistered customary marriage;
- One is in a cohabitation relationship;
- One is n a universal partnership;
- One has children out of wedlock; and
- One has raised children as their own without legally adopting them.
The workshop also discussed disputes that often arise between family members in appointing an executor when the deceased has died intestate and the negative effect of this on the winding up of the estate.