On Thursday 7 September 2017 the fourth Pro Bono Awards ceremony was held at The Social Kitchen at Exclusive Books in Hyde Park Corner.
There were 11 award categories, won by:
- Refugee Law – Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr Inc.
- Housing Law – Sonkozi Ngalonkulu Attorneys
- Estates Law – Mojelo Hlazo Attorneys
- Community Advice Office – Ntsu Community Advice Office, Mabopane
- Family Law – Riva Lange Attorney
- Labour Law – Naledi Motsiri, Werksmans
- Wills – Norton Rose Fulbright SA
- Police Brutality – Candice Pillay, Hogan Lovells SA Inc.
- Child Law – Suné Bosch, Ramsden Small Inc.
- Advocate Award – Thulamela Group
- Law Student at a University Law Clinic – Lutho Klaas, University of Fort Hare
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces Award – Serialong Lebasa
- Legal Aid South Africa Award – Khanyisa Ngobeni
In addition, there were several Director’s Special Mentions:
- Clarks Attorneys – for their willing availability and commitment
- Reg Joubert – for his support at the Divorce Help Desk and children’s matters
- Claire Thomson – for drafting wills and presenting at community workshops
- Susan Harris – for her many years of commitment to help desks, cases and events
- Leana Elliot of Klopper Jonker Attorneys – for assisting at the Palm Ridge Help Desk and other pro bono work
- Patrick Bracher of Norton Rose Fulbright SA – for hosting the Pro Bono Law radio programme on Radio Today for the past 11 years
- Baker & McKenzie – for doing pro bono work for ProBono.Org
- Hoossen Sader – for his availability to take on family law matters
We congratulate all the winners and thank our generous sponsors for supporting this acknowledgment of invaluable pro bono work.